Saturday, 16 April 2011

Park life

Saturday 16th April

Todays trip was back on the same pool as last week, a few fish had been caught during the week so it looked quite promising. I arrived in the dark at 5am and was surprised to find i had the entire lake to myself so I headed for the going area where the fish had been coming from of late. Its a public access lake and my chosen swim had the added bonus of being in a wooded area which meant that hopefully i wouldnt be getting bothered by people quite so badly as is often the case in other areas of the lake, not that im an unsociable sod of course!
Out went the feeders just as it was getting light and i was full of anticipation especially as one or two Tench were starting to show out in front of me. The lake was flat calm and the shiny black backs of the rolling fish glistened in the halflight. The resident birdlife was waking up too and the cacophany of noise, especially from the Geese, was unbelievable.

After about half an hour i recieved a slow take on the left-hander, i hit dogged resistance and it felt like a decent fish but unfortunately it came adrift after a few moments. Never mind, it was an encouraging start anyway and an hour later i was in action again. This one felt  a lot smaller and so it proved as a chunky 4lb male Tench was soon lying on the mat. It had a severely deformed bottom lip which left me wondering how the hell it managed to feed properly, it certainly wasnt a photogenic creature anyway so i put it back without one.
Whilst i was waiting for another bite i had a bit of a play with my new camera. There was a Heron in some treetops about 150yards away and after a bit of trial and error i managed to get a half decent shot (i think anyway) of it. Considering the distance i was quite impressed, ill be keeping my eye out for various wildlife photo opportunities now i know i can take useable pics at range.

Back to the fishing and it was approaching mid morning before i had any more indications. The bobbin slowly rose towards the rod in a very deliberate fashion and as i struck i felt the culprit bump off the hook. Probably a Bream? judging by the way the take developed it had to be.
I recast and within minutes i had an identical take on the same rod, sure enough the fish came to the surface imediately and surrendered in typical Bream fashion. A couple of minutes later and a Bream of about 5-6lb which looked as old as the hills was banked.

After that i couldnt buy another bite despite stopping well into the afternoon. The water clarity was very much clearer than last week and the bottom was clearly visible for a good way out. This was proved by the sheer number of Coot pickups i had over the course of the morning! The clear water combined with the bright sunshine probably didnt help my cause a great deal. Neither did the kids who ploughed through my swim in a rowing boat, the mega-annoying Swans that repeatedly swam through my lines, the 50th person of the day to ask me if id caught owt, the youths on bmxs racing up and down shouting to each other or the Ducks,Coots and Geese that seemed hell-bent on attacking each other right over my baited area all morning. Park life eh!
Ill definately be back for more next week.............

No comments:

Post a Comment